Belated Avian Quiz Answer – March 25, 2011
Some travel and visits to the hospital have delayed this posting. All is well now, and so here are the answers to last week’s quiz.
- Take a beverage produced by a large distributor.
- The beverage’s name is 10 letters long.
- You will see that the first 5 letters and the last 5 letters have 3 letters in common.
- Delete these 6 letters, leaving 4 letters remaining.
- Rearrange these 4 remaining letters and you will end up with a rare avian visitor to North America.
Working backwards, as suggested, was a good way to begin answering the quiz. A rare avian visitor to North America with the name containing only 4 letters. SMEW is the correct choice. Out of how many, I do not know. Add to that six letters, two instances of three different letters. The letters are ART. Yielding SMARTWATER as the correct answer.
A huge congratulations to Derek for getting the correct answer!
The question: What do NORTH, SOUTH, EAST, WEST, LEFT and RIGHT have in common, but not UP or DOWN?
Clare got A correct answer (all the words contain the letter “T”). Congratulations to Clare, who gets partial extra credit.
However I was looking for a more diabolical answer. Thorn, Shout, Seat, Stew, Felt, Girth … all are anagrams of the indicated words. Up and Down do not have anagrams.
Until next time …